Saturday 24 October 2015

The Cafe......



I controlled my thumbs urge to push, for I knew this scrolling wont get  me anywhere.There were many bright, smiling faces all of them on a  beach, and their stupid hash-tags #YOLO, #beach #fun. This was the last  thing that I wanted to see,Yash and Richa together.

"Is there anything more you'd like to have sir"

For  the first time in probably ten minutes I took my gaze off the phone.  The cafe was crowded, it was a Sunday evening after all. The waitress  stood there staring at me, and I realized for the past few minutes I was  sucking nothing but air instead of cold coffee.Her looks told me she  wanted me to go, after all I was sitting on their valuable couple table  on a 'date' day.
"Can you get me a chicken escalope sandwich"
"Okay and anything else sir."
"I'll tell you later if I want something more, get this first."
She somehow managed to fake a smile.I knew it was impolite. It wasn't my  fault either, I have nowhere else to go. It was the out of nowhere I saw  dad cross the street.It was just 5 pm, he should have been at office.  Running wont be an option I wont make it in time plus it will take more  time trying to escape(I had to pay the bill).I observed him carefully as  he walked to the door. I knew that time was running out.I took a deep  breath , and started counting in reverse under my breath "ten, nine  eight seven..........."
"Mind if I sit here"

I turned around to see a young man probably in his 30s, but my mind was  caught a midst the confusion, and it took me a while to respond.
"Shii....I mean sit."
I  hoped my dad would pass without noticing. I dropped the menu card on  purpose and got under the table making it seem like I was searching for  something.
"Sid, what are you doing here?"
There you go. I got up, "Dad I was, you know.."
"Well Siddharth was helping me sir" the stranger facing me said.
"His name is Siddhanth " my dad replied in suspicion "and by the way..."
"My  name is Raghav" he held out his business card , "well you know I lost  my cellphone sir, and your son found it for me. This was decided as as  our meeting place, he spent the entire time helping me find it."
My dad grunted and left and I knew what that meant.
"So you bunked your coaching class, it seems. Is it?" 
How does he know this?
"Sorry but do I know you, I cant remember..."
"Chill man, as I said I am Raghav, I work as work as operations manager in Crypytograph."
"But how do you know my name and that I .."
"Siddharth  and of course Siddhant, I cant think of any other possible Indian name  that can be called Sid,and of course why else would a 17 year old be  hanging around with a sling bag in a coffee shop."
" I am sixteen"
" Whatever, I meant the same"
The waitress brought in my sandwich and Raghav ordered for a coffee.
" Why did you bunk your tuition, you don't seem like hanging out with 
your friends."
"Well I didn't want to go"
"Hate studies ?"
"Something like that "
Raghav  dug in to the newspaper he carried and in the silence that followed, my  mind slowly wandered to those images. they were all enjoying. I somehow  felt angry and annoyed in an instant.
"You don't seem well something bothering you."
"Mind your own business will.." It was instinctive and somehow and I pulled myself back.
He still kept on sipping his coffee, calm without a word. I noticed people around staring at us. 
" I'm sorry, I don't, I was just.." Guilt and embarrassment, I guess both 
was visible on my face. I was not good at hiding emotions.
"Its okay you were at your breaking point. I was right it is not just  something but everything seems to be bothering you, isn't it."
"Yes, but I would rather prefer keeping it to myself."
"I don't want you to confide anything to me, but I think its rather better 
for you to speak to someone than just eat yourself up. Punching the 
walls  time and again, blaming it all on yourself, this anger this frustration  trust me it wont get you anywhere, but back to sorrow and anguish. He  got up and walked away to pay his bill. 
His words it was as if he was an omnipotent God. Or how else could he 
know  everything see everything. The first person who ever understood me was  walking past the glass door of the cafe walking away from my life.

I ran over to him. seeing me he stopped and smiled. A warm gentle smile. 
"How did you know you'll find me here."
"I don't know I just ran" I was tired too tired and panting heavily.
"How do you know so much about me,you were right but how do you know me." 
"I don't know I think I just guessed." 
" Hmm.. guessed"He gave another one of his smiles.
"So speak up" he said after a brief pause " you wanted me to lend 
my ear to you, tell me what's making you feel bad."
"What is making me feel bad, I don't know. I guess if I sum it all up 
its my very own existence. I feel like I am nothing like I am just 
worthless."
For a while he didn't say anything, we kept on walking ahead. It was 
a November evening and the sky was red already.
"Got a book?"
"Yeah just take a pen and I want you to write something for me."
I couldn't get it but still went ahead.
"Do you have your parents, I mean both of them?"
"Yeah, but they are just so in my certificates. They never care for 
me they are never there for me, they, they..."
I could feel my voice shake and eyes fill with tears.
"There, there easy my boy, but at least you have them. "
"All  they want is me to excel in everything they like, they see me as an  extension of their unfulfilled dreams. they are never interested in what  I like."
"What do you love doing."
"You know literature and stuff, I love to read and write."
"Do you get a chance to do that quite often?"
"Yes", I still couldn't understand. 
" So please write that down on a fresh page- 1. That you have both 
your parents, 2. That you get to chase your hobbies. How about 
your health."
"Oh that, I am perfectly healthy."
" So you will write it down too.What about your friends,do you have 
some."
"I do have quite a good gang"
"Then why didn't I see anyone today.You bunked your tuition alone."
"Well they are all hangin' out, at the beach today."
"You didn't go?"
"No, you need money for that. My parents, they didn't give me any"
"So they went without you?" He seemed surprised "Is that what 
you call friendship?"
"I didn't tell them the truth, I just told them I was not feeling 
well."
We  reached an apartment complex "This is where I stay. Now there is one  last thing I want you to do. Go down to the next street from here. There  you will see a twelve year old boy.I want you to talk to him."
Saying this he went straight to his apartment complex waving his hand. while I stood there trying to figure out what he meant.
I  went ahead as he had told me, there was a young boy of maybe ten or  twelve. He was dressed in rags, mending a shoe. I didn't know how to  begin, but somehow gathered courage and went to him.
"Whats your name?" I asked him
"Sameer, sir what would you like me to do?" he asked, with a wide smile that showed his two broken teeth.
"Nothing " the smile on his face faded and he went on with his work.
"Do you go to school"I asked
"Yes I am in sixth standard" he continued with his work and spoke without looking up.
"Why do you have to work here, don't your parents have a job."
"They do, but that's not enough."
"So when do you find time to study or play." 
"I do study after this, but play, no, that's a luxury I just cant 
afford". I saw some kids coming from the other end of the street. 
Like him they too were dressed in rags.
He began packing his stuff to leave. One of his friends brought 
him a walking stick, the others meanwhile helped him get up. I searched for some money and offered a hundred rupee note to him.

"It's hard work that makes my bread sweet sir. Don't insult me with these alms." and he left.

While walking back home I looked at the paper again. A treasure. "  'The Cafe' that's gotta be good title" .I noticed at the bruises on my  knuckles from yesterday's rage. "So that's how he..."

No comments:

Post a Comment