Saturday 24 October 2015

A Wednesday




8pm
So I call up Dominos and order 2 large pizzas (well that effectively 1 pizza, as you're not paying for the other). On an average, it takes about 40 minutes but never exceeds an hour. 

9 pm
Pizza not yet delivered. Not a call. Not a correspondence. 

9.30 pm
An hour and a half. A Test of patience. I ring them up. Claiming it's Wednesday and a typical rush hour, they apologize, instill a fake will-be-there-in-half-an-hour hope and I give in. (Half an hour delay vs. A free Large pizza ?.. Half an hour delay)

10.15pm
I umm... fall asleep wake up at about 10.15. Realizing it was 45 mins since I called them and more than 2 hours since I placed my order ..... I call 'em up again and am told that my pizza has left and is on its way. 2 mins later I get a call from the delivery guy (Ahhh.. Finally) who asks me if I could collect my order from IIT* (which is about 20 mins away) as the management guys messed up orders ....or place a similar order the next morning. Frustrated, agitated and pissed beyond comprehension.... I blast at the guy harping on the " I shall not be victim to your inefficiency, GET ME MY ORDER NOW".

11.15pm 
By now, I was the only person in my home still awake in hope of that pizza.
I get a call from the delivery guy as he tries to locate my address in the labyrinth of dark lampless streets. Even before I guide him, I narrate my misery almost abusing him and his inefficient system. Decibel level: 120. 

11.25pm
I collect the order, refraining myself from abusing him anymore. Paid about Rs.600. The guy's apologetic but still has a comforting smile.

11.30pm
*Doorbell*
Delivery Guy : (with an earnest smile) Sir, how is the Pizza ?
Me : Uh.. I haven't tried it yet. It's in the oven.
Delivery Guy : Sir, we're extremely sorry for the inconvenience. Here's the refund. (Hands me the cash I paid him.) Thank you for choosing Dominos Pizza

Well I was simple plain baffled. There was a myriad of a feelings... the joy of the pizza, the joy of the 1 pizza free and then the joy of both pizzas free. But what was killing me was the sorrow, the guilt of shouting and nearly abusing someone who working overtime, just to make ends meet, just to make sure that his customers and not just his loved ones didn't slept hungry.

I wanted to invite the guy in and share a slice of pizza or two with him or at least hug him.. somehow this 11th grader me couldn't gather the courage to do so. Thinking about how easily we disrespect people and look down at people serving us almost made me cry that day.

Lotta people find it pretty exciting to receive a pizza for free ?
Ha. 
You just saved Rs.300 but do you realize what was at stake ?
You just saved Rs.300 but have you seen the whole picture?

Speeding and at times toying with safety, delivery boys put in so much, just so that we get that pizza in half-an-hour or atleast ASAP. 
Is their life worth a meagre salary of about 10K ?

Yet we hold no regard.

Ever since, I've made a point to thank and smile at every waiter/delivery boy, even if the food is bad, because you can never really blame him for the food. Though tipping is beyond my means for now, I'd recommend you to do so.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment