Sunday 1 November 2015

Go home this festival. This incident tells you why.



Yesterday I came to know that one of my college senior’s father passed away last month due to bad health. He was not with his parents since his post-graduation, which is roughly 8 years now. He got placed in a reputed company in Bangalore, worked really hard for 3 years which opened opportunities overseas. Last year he came to India for a month for his marriage. I called him later yesterday to enquire about his father’s demise; I totally regretted calling him. A 28 year old  married guy wept like a small kid. For almost 20 minutes he was telling how much he regrets for not visiting his father often. He said he always knew that he meant the world to his parents just by the way the fridge gets loaded the day before he gets home.


My mom calls me twice a day. First call of the day always has this question“When are you coming home?” She will ask me the same question next day also, it repeats the day after as well. 
 
Sometimes I get irritated and the reply goes like “How many times you will ask the same question ma? Yesterday only I told that I am not coming home any sooner. I have this conference, I have that presentation, I am working almost all weekends, blah blah blah……”
 
During the call he said 'life is so unfair that we don’t even know how many times we will see our parents before they are no more'. It’s a question to everyone who is busy building their career. 
 
How many times we will see our parents before they are no more?
 
I quickly ran some maths. 
No, I couldn’t answer this question.
 

None of us can answer this question because the answer couldn’t be given in a number, how much ever time it is it’s never going to be enough. We have always called our dad whenever we needed advice. We have always called our mom whenever we needed someone to empathize. None of us can imagine a day when we can no longer pick up the phone and do that.
 
we are so busy growing up we often forget our parents are also growing old

Let’s all make an effort to make more time for them, express more love for them when we can still do. 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment